Triple Chocolate Pie Cake Recipe 1
- 1/2 recipe All-Butter Easy Pie Dough, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Two 3.5-ounce bars bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
Pastry Cream Filling:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 ounces bittersweet (70 percent) chocolate, chopped into small pieces
All-Butter Easy Pie Dough:
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour, cold, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) salt
- 1 tablespoon (11 grams) sugar
- 1 cup (225 grams) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled in the freezer for 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) ice water
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) lemon juice
- For the crust: Line a 9-inch pie plate with the All-Butter Easy Pie Dough. Dock the bottom and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line the crust with parchment, fill it with pie weights or dried beans and bake it for 15 minutes. Remove the pie weights and parchment and bake the crust for 10 minutes more, or until the bottom begins to turn golden brown and is cooked through. Set aside to cool completely.
- For the ganache: In a heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the cream, butter and vanilla and cook, stirring, until the butter has completely melted. Increase the heat to medium high and bring the mixture to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the chopped chocolate. Leave the pan undisturbed for a few minutes to allow the chocolate to melt. Whisk until the ganache has emulsified and is shiny.
- For the pastry cream filling: Whisk together the milk, cream, granulated sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, salt and egg yolks in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until thickened and just starting to bubble. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in half the chocolate ganache until well combined. Place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface and let cool in the refrigerator at least 1 hour
- For the assembly: Pour the remaining ganache into the crust and, using the back of the spoon or an offset spatula, spread it along the bottom and up the sides until the inside of the crust is completely coated; let it set up in the refrigerator, at least 15 minutes. Once the ganache has set, spread the pastry cream filling into the crust and refrigerate while you make the whipped cream.
- Whip the cream in a medium bowl with an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until it begins to thicken. Add the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder and continue to beat until it holds stiff peaks.
- Gently spoon the whipped cream on top of the pastry cream and spread it carefully and evenly until it just touches the edges of the dough. Chill the pie in the refrigerator for a few hours to set.
- Before serving, melt the chocolate pieces and drizzle chocolate over the pie.
All-Butter Easy Pie Dough:
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, pulse together the flour, salt, sugar and butter until the mixture resembles cornmeal with some pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
- In a small bowl, stir together the ice water and the lemon juice. Slowly add the liquid to the flour mixture, pulsing, until the dough just comes together. Squeeze a small piece of dough between your thumb and index finger to make sure it holds its shape.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it in half. Gently turn over each piece of dough a few times so that any dry bits are incorporated. Form each piece into a loose disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
Triple Chocolate Pie Cake Recipe 2
- Finely crush 24 of the cookies; mix with butter. Press firmly onto bottom and up side of 9-inch pie plate.
- Pour milk into large bowl. Add pudding mixes. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes or until well blended. (Mixture will be thick.)
- Spoon 1-1/2 cups of the pudding into crust. Gently stir 1/2 of the whipped topping into remaining pudding; spread over pudding layer in crust. Chop remaining 8 cookies; stir into remaining whipped topping. Spread over pie.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or until set.
Triple Chocolate Pie Cake Recipe 3
Chocolate Cookie Crust::
- 9 ounces (255 g) store-bought chocolate cookie wafers
- 6 tablespoons (85 g or 3⁄4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 ounces (85 g) bittersweet chocolate (70% cacao), chopped into 1⁄4-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 4 ounces (115 g) milk chocolate, chopped into 1⁄4-inch chunks
- 6 ounces (170 g) white chocolate, chopped into 1⁄4-inch chunks
Custard Filling Base::
- 1 1⁄2 cups (300 g) granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup (60 g) cornstarch
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
Chocolate Swirled Whipped Cream::
- 1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 ounce (28 g) semisweet chocolate (about 54% cacao)
- 2 cups cold heavy cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Make the Chocolate Cookie Crust:
- Place the chocolate wafers in a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs form. Drizzle the melted butter over the crumbs and pulse until the crumbs start to clump together and look moist. Dump the cookie crumbs into the middle of a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Press the crumbs evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Refrigerate while you make the filling.
Make the Chocolate Layers:
- Place the dark chocolate and cocoa powder in a medium bowl. Place the milk chocolate in another bowl and the white chocolate in a third bowl.
Make the Custard Filling Base:
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, vanilla, and 3⁄4 cup of the milk in a large bowl and whisk together. Combine the remaining 21⁄4 cups milk and the cream in a large pot. Cook over high heat,stirring occasionally, until bubbles start to form on the edges of the pot.
- Turn off the heat and slowly drizzle a little bit of the hot milk mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks while stirring with a whisk. Continue to whisk and slowly pour the rest of the hot milk mixture into the bowl. Return the entire custard base to the pot (don’t bother to clean it) and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with the whisk, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour about one-third of the hot custard base through a sieve into the bowl with the white chocolate.Pour another one-third into the milk chocolate, and the rest into the dark chocolate (about 450 g custard per bowl). Stir with a spatula until all the chocolate is melted, first the white chocolate custard,then the milk chocolate, then ending with the dark chocolate. If you stir in that order, you don’t have to worry about cleaning the spatula; just wipe it against the edge of the bowl.
- Pour the dark chocolate custard into the bottom of the pie crust and spread it evenly over the crust to the edges with an offset spatula if you have one, or the back of a spoon or butter knife. Scoop out the milk chocolate custard and spread it over the dark chocolate custard layer. Repeat with the white chocolate custard. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the white chocolate custard and refrigerate the entire pie overnight.
Make the Chocolate Swirled Whipped Cream:
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small microwave-safe bowl and let sit for 5 minutes to soften.Chop the chocolate into 1⁄4-inch chunks and place in a medium bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir,and microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Stir until completely melted and smooth. Add 2 tablespoons of the cream to the chocolate and mix until incorporated. Set aside.
- Once the gelatin has softened, microwave for 10 to 15 seconds, until the gelatin has turned to liquid.
- Combine the remaining cream and the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip on high speed until soft peaks form. Reduce the speed to medium and, with the mixer on, drizzle the gelatin into the whipped cream. Raise the speed to medium-high and whip until firm peaks form. Stop the mixer and remove the bowl. Drizzle the chocolate mixture all over the whipped cream and gently fold two or three times to swirl in the chocolate, but not mixing it completely.
Triple Chocolate Pie Cake Recipe 4