Decadent Mocha Cake Recipe 1
For The Cake:
- Butter — for greasing the pan
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour — plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder — plus 2 tablespoons, plus extra for the pan
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, — melted and cooloed
- 1 large egg — at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
For The Frosting:
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese — at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter — at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee — at room temperature or cold
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Chopped chocolate covered espresso beans — for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and lightly dust with cocoa powder a 6-cup bundt pan or a 8-inch x 2-inch round cake pan, tapping out the excess. If using a round cake pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, then butter and dush with cocoa again.
- Into the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl, briskly whisk together the all purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well combined and no lumps remain.
- In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla until well blended. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Then, keeping the mixer running on low, pour in the coffee and mix gently, just until combined. Scrape the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula to ensure all ingredients are blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean (either of the two pans will bake in this amount of time). Remove from the oven, place the pan on a wire rack, then let the cake cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Carefully invert onto a serving plate.
- Prepare the frosting: in a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- In a small bowl, stir together the coffee, espresso powder, and vanilla extract so that the espresso powder dissolves, then add the mixture to the bowl with the cream cheese and butter and beat until combined. In a separate bowl, sift together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the powdered sugar mixture to the cream cheese. Mix until well blended. Add a little more liquid coffee or powdered sugar as needed to reach the desired consistency. Spread over the cooled cake. Sprinkle immediately with chopped chocolate covered espresso beans. Dive in!
Decadent Mocha Cake Recipe 2
For the Cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder nice quality
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs large
- 1 1/4 cups coffee hot, strong
- 1/2 cup water
- ¾ cup veggie oil
For the Buttercream:
- 1 lb butter unsalted
- 2 lb confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp espresso powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Ganache:
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
For the Assembly:
- 1/2 cup chocolate covered espresso beans
For the Batter:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter and flour three 9-inch cake pans. I highly recommend using cake strips for a more even bake.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (including the sugar) into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Whisk to combine then mix on level 2 for two minutes.
- Distribute batter evenly to the three pans and bake for about 35-40 minutes at 350F or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I recommend rotating the pans halfway through the bake.
- Allow time to cool for 5 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to cool fully.
For the Mocha Buttercream:
- Sift the confectioners’ sugar, salt, cocoa and espresso powder into a bowl.
- Whip the butter for about 5 minutes using a paddle attachment (in a standing mixer).
- Beat in the sugar mixture slowly.
- Add vanilla and drizzle in the cream while beating until desired consistency is reached. If the you want the buttercream to have a stronger espresso taste, add as much as you would like!
For the Ganache:
- Warm the cream and pour over the chocolate. Set aside for a few minutes and whisk together. If there’s a few bits of unmelted chocolate just microwave it for 10 seconds on half power and whisk again.
For the assembly:
- Pipe buttercream on the first layer, add a swirl of the ganache then a sprinkle of chopped espresso beans.
- Add the second layer on and repeat the process.
- Add third layer on and cover cake with buttercream. Smooth using an offset spatula.
- Drizzle ganache on top of cake, smooth the top and allow to set.
- Pipe dollops of buttercream on the edge using a large closed star tip.
- Top each dollop with a chocolate covered espresso bean.
Decadent Mocha Cake Recipe 3
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups brewed coffee, cooled
- 1-1/3 cups sour cream
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 6 tablespoons brewed coffee2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee and sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the chocolate, coffee and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Decadent Mocha Cake Recipe 4